Thursday 4 February 2021

Looking for Work? How to Write An Amazing Cover Letter for Job Applications In English

Suitable for low intermediate and above CEFR B1+

 #cv #jobs #career #English #jobinterview 


Applying for a job can be challenging and time-consuming, especially if you are applying in English and it is not your first language. Whatever the industry, to get yourself noticed by potential employers you need to have a smart and impressive CV with a well-written cover letter to give more information about why you are the ideal candidate for the job. 

Here are my suggestions for how to structure a formal cover letter and fixed expressions that you can use to make a great first impression.


Opening 

Dear Mr/Mrs/Miss _______, 
Dear Sir or Madam, To Whom It May Concern,

Reason for writing 

I am writing to apply for the position of...
I am writing to express my interest in the position of...
I wish to apply for the position of...
I am writing in response to your recent advertisement for...
I am writing to enquire whether there are any vacancies for...

Introducing yourself

I am currently working at/as...
I have been working in my current position as a/an (occupation)... for (time)...
At present, I am working/ studying...

Education and experience

As you will see from my CV attached, I have a strong background in...and have gained valuable experience in...
My previous studies/professional experiences have prepared me well for a position such as this one. 
I graduated ______ university in (date)... with a degree/ master's degree in... and since then I have...

Why you are the ideal candidate

I believe I am suitable for this role because..
I am very keen to work for this company because...
I consider myself to be...
I feel I have many transferable skills that would make me an ideal candidate for this position.
I believe I would be an ideal candidate for this position because...

Closing 

Thank you for taking the time to consider my application.
Please find my CV attached for your perusal. 
Should you require further information or wish to discuss my application in detail, please email/call...
Should you wish to contact me I am available on (telephone number)...
I look forward to hearing from you.

Signing off 

Yours Sincerely, (if you know the name of the person you are writing to)
Yours Faithfully, (if you don't know the name of the person you are writing to)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop Saying VERY! Use These Advanced Adjectives to Instantly Improve Your English Fluency

 #vocabulary #English #ielts #ieltsprep #ieltsspeaking   Very is one of the most overused words in the English language and the worst thing ...